The Diet Pancake Recipe
Pancakes give you the opportunity to experiment with toppings, and perfect one of the most simple yet delicious dishes. Whether fluffy American style or the thin and crispy French crêpe, pancakes are a versatile menu choice that can be served for breakfast or dessert, on the side of a meal and with sweet or savoury toppings.
They’re far too good to be confined to just one day of the year, but to celebrate the National Pancake Day, we’ve put together a diet-friendly receipe so you can enjoy the occasion.
With this delicious recipe, you can treat yourself to three different yummy toppings for your pancakes; raspberry or chocolate with fat-free Greek yoghurt or spiced apple dusted with cinnamon. Even if you’re on Step 2, you can make an exception with these…enjoy!
Spiced Apple Pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Steps: 3 and above
60g plain flour
A pinch of salt
1 small free-range egg
150ml skimmed milk
Ground cinnamon for dusting
Spiced apple filling:
2 medium dessert apples, peeled, cored and sliced or cubed
1 tbsp water
Artificial sweetener, to taste
A pinch of ground cinnamon
Grated zest and juice of ½ orange
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and beat in the egg. Add the milk, a little at a time, beating until the batter is smooth. Leave to stand for at least 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the apple and water in a saucepan over a low to medium heat until the apple is tender but keeps its shape. Add artificial sweetener to taste and gently stir in the cinnamon, orange zest and juice.
3. Lightly spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and place over a medium heat. When the pan is hot, add one-quarter of the batter. Tilt the pan and swirl the batter around to cover the base evenly. Cook until the pancake is golden brown and set underneath, then flip it over and cook the other side.
4. Slide the pancake out of the pan onto a plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes in the same way.
5. Divide the apple filling between the pancakes and roll up or fold over. Serve immediately, dusted with cinnamon.
Check out our meals and food by clicking below.