Here’s a delicious slimming version of a family favourite, that is high fibre, high protein and low in fat. It’s so easy to make, freezes well and is a great standby for casual entertaining. Vegetarians can substitute Quorn mince for the beef and save 40kcal and 3g fat per serving.
- Dry-fry the onion and minced beef in a non-stick shallow pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened and the
- mince has browned. Stir in the pepper, garlic and chilli, and cook gently for 2–3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and kidney beans. Stir well and turn up the heat.
- When it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes, until the liquid reduces and thickens. Season with black pepper. 3 While the chilli con carne is simmering away, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Divide the boiled rice between two serving plates and spoon the chilli con carne over the top. Sprinkle with coriander or parsley and serve with the salsa and fromage frais.
- Instead of chilli powder, you could use some dried chilli flakes or even a chopped fresh chilli.
- Black beans make a change from red kidney beans as well as adding contrast to the fiery red colour of the finished dish.
Step it down...
If you’d like to eat this on Step 3, just use 300g minced beef (max 5% fat) instead of 250g.
Step it up: Quorn Chilli Con Carne recipe
You can still enjoy eating this meal on Step 4 if you use 300g Quorn mince instead of minced beef, which will make it a great vegetarian option that is still high in protein and low in saturated fat. This will give you 350kcal per serving.
Chilli con carne calories:
Chilli Con Carne is a classic comfort dish, but did you know the average calories per serving are 820 kcal. However, our low-calorie Chilli Con Carne recipe has only 350 kcal per serving.
What to eat with Chilli Con Carne?...
Here are some low-calorie options that you can enjoy with your Chilli Con Carne…
- Cauliflower rice: At only 35kcal and 0.4g per serving, the perfect partner for our Chilli Con Carne recipe.
- Tortilla Chips: Fancy something a bit different? Accompany your chilli with several tortilla chips (74kcal for 10 tortilla chips on average).
- Salad: Or you are looking for something lighter, you can make a hearty salad filled with lots of vegetables.
Visit the Steps page to find out more about the Plan or contact a Consultant to start your weight-loss journey today.