We all know nachos can be crazy high in calories when they are piled up with melted cheese, guacamole and soured cream. Don’t worry though, we’ve come to your rescue and created a lighter version, perfect for those on The 1:1 Diet Plan who fancy a Mexican night!
The secret is using cool tortilla chips (and less of them!) and topping them with a tasty low-fat chilli and reduced-fat cheese.
This recipe serves four people so it’s ideal for entertaining and parties.
- To make the spicy beef chilli: lightly spray a saucepan with oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 8–10 mins, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add the chilli and ground spices and cook for 1 min. Those spices should be filling your kitchen with a delicious aroma!
- Add the minced beef and cook for 4–5 mins, stirring, until browned. Stir in the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and stock, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15–20 mins until everything is cooked and the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency. Season to taste with a crack or two of salt and pepper.
- Heat an overhead grill on the highest setting. Spread out the tortilla chips on a baking tray and sprinkle with three-quarters of the grated Cheddar. Spoon the spicy beef chilli over the top, leaving gaps to expose some of the tortilla chips. Sprinkle with the sliced chilli, black olives and the rest of the cheese.
- Cook under the hot grill for about 5 mins until the cheese is melting, golden and bubbling. Yummy!
- Divide between four plates and serve with the chopped coriander and a spoonful of yoghurt.
Step it up…
For a 500kcals supper serve each portion with 2 tablespoons guacamole and 4 tbsp hot salsa.
We have more delicious recipes for you to try here!
For more information regarding the Steps simply find a Consultant.