The festive season is a difficult time when dieting – there are so many temptations and seasonal treats on offer that it’s hard to resist over-indulging sometimes. Just relax and follow our easy guide to a light Christmas, so you can enjoy yourself without feeling guilty.
Here are our top tips for staying on track over Christmas:
- Shop carefully – avoid special offers on high-calorie food items, no matter how tempting.
- Check the labels before buying – many popular Christmas treats are loaded with fat and calories.
- Plan your menus carefully well ahead of Christmas – include low-fat foods and cooking methods that you and your family will enjoy.
- Don’t have anything in the fridge or store-cupboard that you don’t need for the week ahead.
- Do your Christmas food shopping list in advance…and stick to it! Or to avoid those last minute buys completely, do your food shopping online.
- Get in lots of fresh vegetables – they will help you feel full and can work as healthy snacks!
- Don’t pick at bowls of nuts and crisps – you can consume a lot of calories through continuous nibbling (just 10 peanuts add up to a staggering 59kcal and 5g fat!).
- Watch what you drink! Alcohol is high in sugar and has nearly as many kcal as fat, so make a white wine last longer by adding sparkling or soda water, and alternate alcoholic drinks with diet soft drinks.
- Avoid after-dinner drinks: sweet and creamy liqueurs, such as Baileys, dessert wines and fortified wine (Port, Madeira and sherry).
- Watch your portion sizes – use a smaller plate to avoid overeating.
- Stay active over Christmas to burn some of those extra calories. Get out in the fresh air for lots of walks or bike rides.
Need one-to-one support for Christmas? Find a Consultant today!