If you’re a sushi fan why not use the rice, salmon and avocado to make a healthy main course? You can now buy sushi rice, mirin and wasabi in most delis and supermarkets. If you like Japanese umami flavours but don’t want to eat raw salmon you could grill it instead or substitute to sliced smoked or hot-smoked salmon.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the packet – it will take 10-15 minutes until it’s tender and all or most of the water has been absorbed.
- Stir together the rice vinegar, mirin, sesame seeds and sugar and then mix gently into the rice. Cover the pan and set aside for 10 minutes or so until the rice is at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, blanch the edamame beans in a pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Refresh under cold running water and drain well.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the Japanese dressing in a small bowl or jug. Put the edamame beans, radishes, tomatoes, cucumber avocado and salad leaves in a bowl and toss lightly in the dressing.
- Divide the rice between two serving bowls and top with the dressed salad and the salmon. Sprinkle with the herbs and sesame seeds.
Step it up…
To enjoy this on Step 5, use 150g salmon fillet and 150g edamame beans. This will add 3.5g fat and 2g carbs per serving.
Tip: You must buy really good-quality fresh salmon – look for sashimi grade for the best results!
Visit the Steps page to find out more about the Plan or contact a Consultant to start your weight loss journey today.