1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2. Make the roots topping: cook the potatoes, parsnips and swede in lightly salted boiling water for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain well and then mash with the yoghurt. Stir in the spring onions and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and cook the onion, carrots and garlic over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 6–8 minutes until softened.
4. Add the minced beef, tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for a few minutes, stirring, until browned all over and then add the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce and heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Blend the cornflour with a little cold water in a mug and add to the beef mixture. Keep stirring until it thickens. Stir in the parsley.
6. Spoon into a baking dish and cover with the mashed root vegetables. Swirl the top with a fork. Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, until crisp and golden.
7. Meanwhile, steam or boil the broccoli and beans until just tender. Drain well. Serve with the cottage pie.
Step it up…
On Step 5, use 375g very lean minced beef and sprinkle the top of the cottage pie before baking with 30g grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese.
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Cottage pie recipe
2 min 12