Fancy a bit on the side? Try our delicious Cottage Pie MRP with a scrumptious side of cauliflower cheese. Creamy and cheesy it’s a family favourite that’s sure to get your belly rumbling!
This recipe is suitable for those on Step 2 and above.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Place a large pan of water to on the hob to bring to boil.
- Mix 1 tbsp milk with the cornflour and set aside.
- Peel and crush garlic with a knife (don’t chop or use a garlic press, it must be in one piece) and put in a pan with the rest of the milk and heat until it just begins to boil and then remove from heat and set aside.
- Trim cauliflower and cut into florets. Add the cauliflower to large pan of water and return to the boil, then simmer for about 5 mins until just cooked but still with a bit of bite!.
- Tip the cauliflower into a large colander, drain well, then transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Mix both cheeses together. Stir 2 tsp of the cheeses with the chives and a grinding of pepper, and put aside for sprinkling over.
- Stir the cornflour mix into the warm milk. Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from the heat, discard the garlic, then stir in the cheese until it has melted.
- . Stir in the mustard and buttermilk, and season with pepper.
- . Pour the sauce over the cauliflower to evenly coat, then sprinkle over the remaining cheese and chives.
- . Bake for about 25 mins or until bubbling round the sides and golden on top.
- . Make up your Cottage Pie following the instructions on the sachet.
- . Serve and enjoy!
Optional extra: You can also add 50g peas (from frozen, boiled or microwaved). This will add 35 calories - although this will take you slightly over the 200kcal meal allowance, peas are high in fibre and protein and are unlikely to have a negative effect on your dieting success.
Why not check out our recipe video below to see how super simple it is!
Cauli Cheese recipe
1 min 10
*The ingredients in this recipe (and the other Cottage Pie recipes) have been carefully chosen so that they come in around 200 calories, with high protein and with either low carbs or fat. As they are being combined with one of our nutritionally-complete MRPs, we’ve been able to include a few ingredients that aren’t included with our Steps Booklet food chart. These meals have similar ‘macro’ (carbs, fat and protein) levels to The 1:1 Diet MRPs. We hope you enjoy these recipes!