Chickpeas are packed with protein and fibre, making them a very healthy food. We’ve served these easy-to-cook fritters with a yoghurt-based dip and fresh courgettes. Perfect for Step 2.
- Lightly spray a pan with oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and chilli for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until really soft and golden.
- Pulse the chickpeas, ground spices, lemon zest and coriander in a food processor or blender until you have a coarse mixture, not too smooth. Put in a bowl and stir in the cooked onion. Season with salt and pepper and divide into 8 small portions. Shape into small patties and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dip: toast the cumin seeds in a dry small frying pan set over a medium to high heat for 1–2 minutes until they start to release their aroma. Grind in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar to a powder. Mix the yoghurt with the ground cumin and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and dust with paprika.
- Cook the courgettes on a lightly oiled griddle or steam over a pan of boiling water.
- Lightly spray a shallow non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium to high heat. When it’s hot, cook the chickpea fritters for 2–3 minutes each side until golden brown and crisp. Serve hot with the green herby dip and courgettes. Plus lemon wedges for squeezing.
Step it up…
To enjoy these fritters for dinner on Steps 3 and 4, use a large onion and 400g canned chickpeas and add a small egg to the food processor before blitzing. Serve with extra vegetables – 150g steamed green beans. This will add 17g carbs and 5g fat per serving.
Check out our recipe page for more delicious recipes for you to try!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.
Hungry for more?
You have to try this yummy vegetarian recipe! They’re a perfect Step 2 light bite on a warm sunny day.Get the recipe