These crisp cheesy chicken nuggets and butternut squash ‘fries’ taste delicious and are so much healthier and lower in fat than take-out ones. We’ve served them with tomato ketchup but they taste equally good with hot chilli sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Make the butternut squash ‘fries’: grind the peppercorns in a grinder and mix with the other spices and herbs. Cut the squash into thin strips and place on a baking tray sprayed lightly with oil. Spray a little more oil over the squash and sprinkle with the spicy seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven for 20–30 minutes until tender and slightly crisp and golden brown on the outside.
- Meanwhile, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and cayenne in a shallow dish. Dust the chicken lightly with flour and then dip briefly into the beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs, turning it until coated all over with the mixture.
- Place the chicken nuggets on a plate, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 10–15 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken on a non-stick baking tray and lightly spray with oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, turning once, or until thoroughly cooked and golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and some black pepper, and serve immediately with tomato ketchup for dipping, the butternut squash ‘fries’ and some salad.
Instead of chicken, use a 250g pack of firm tofu, cut into cubes. The calories, fibre and carbs will stay the same but it will add 5g fat per serving.
Step it up...
To enjoy this on Step 5, use 2 medium sweet potatoes (instead of squash) to make the fries. This will add 1g fat, 3g fibre and 29g carbs per serving.
Check out our recipe page for more delicious recipes for you to try!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.