Sizzling fajitas are easy to make and fun to eat. Everyone loves them and they’re great when you’re entertaining casually with family and friends. Red onions look attractive and add a hint of sweetness but if you don’t have any, use white ones instead.
- Put the chicken strips, lime juice and spices in a bowl. Give them a stir, then cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together all the salsa ingredients in a bowl, then cover and set aside.
- Lightly spray a ridged griddle pan with oil and place it over a medium to high heat. When it’s really hot, add the chicken strips and cook, turning them frequently, for 5–8 minutes until cooked through, juicy and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the red onions, peppers, garlic and chilli to the pan and cook, turning them occasionally, for 5–6 minutes until just tender and slightly charred. Remove, season with salt and pepper, and keep warm.
- Warm the tortillas in the griddle pan or a low oven and divide the cooked chicken and vegetables between them. Top each one with some salsa and a spoonful of yoghurt. Fold over or roll up tightly. Serve immediately with a crisp green salad.
Step it down…
You can eat the chicken and griddled vegetables (using green peppers instead of red or yellow) on Step 2 without the tortilla wraps. Make the salsa, leaving out the mango, and top each portion with just one tablespoon of Greek yoghurt or virtually fat-free fromage frais.
Instead of chicken, cook 450g plain Quorn chicken style fillets in the same way. The calories and fat grams will stay the same.