The great thing about a frittata is that you can cut it into wedges to eat warm as a healthy snack or enjoy it cold the following day. Pack it in a lunchbox and take it to work or college with you, or even serve it at a picnic – it’s the perfect finger food. This will keep well for 2–3 days if stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Cook the sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water for about 5 minutes until slightly tender (al dente). Drain well.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a non-stick frying pan with spray oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 6–8 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add the drained sweet potato and mushrooms and cook for 4–5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and tender. Stir in the spinach and cook for 1–2 minutes, just long enough for the leaves to wilt and turn bright green.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour into the frying pan and reduce the heat. Cook gently until the frittata is set and golden brown underneath – this will take about 5–8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and pop the pan under a preheated hot grill for 5 minutes or so until the top is lightly browned and set.
- Slide out of the pan onto a board and set aside to cool a little. When it’s lukewarm or cold, you can cut it into six wedges.
There are loads of options for you to work this into your Plan and your Consultant will be happy to help.
To eat this frittata for dinner on Step 2, just make as above, substituting 150g peeled, deseeded and cubed pumpkin for the sweet potato. Omit the Parmesan cheese and cut the finished frittata in half to serve. Each portion will have 200kcals. Eat it hot, lukewarm or cold. You could also make the recipe as above, and have 2 wedges for dinner, then save the rest for the next couple of days.
If on Step 5 or 6, you can use your bonus 100kcals if eating the full meal in one go.
Check out our recipe webpage for more delicious meals like this!
For more information regarding the Steps and to start your weight loss journey, speak to a Consultant today.