This delicious vegetarian lasagne is made without any pasta or the usual creamy white sauce. It’s easy to make and uses the sort of ingredients you keep in your kitchen cupboards and fridge.
1. Lightly spray a saucepan with oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, celery and carrot, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes until tender but not coloured. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes with their juice and continue cooking for about 10 minutes until the mixture reduces and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, cut each courgette lengthways into 4 long slices. Lightly spray a griddle or frying pan with oil and set over a medium to high heat. Add the sliced courgette, a few at a time to the hot pan and cook for 1–2 minutes each side until golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. In a bowl, beat together the cottage cheese, yoghurt and egg. Season with a little salt and pepper.
5. Assemble the lasagne: cover the base of a small ovenproof dish with four courgette slices. Top with half of the vegetable mixture and cover with four more courgette slices. Spoon half of the cottage cheese mixture over the top and then the remaining vegetable mixture. Cover with the rest of the courgettes and spoon the remaining cottage cheese mixture over the top.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve immediately.
Tip: You could substitute sliced pumpkin or aubergine for the courgette in this recipe. The calories will remain approximately the same.
Check out our recipe page for more delicious recipes for you to try!
For more information regarding the Steps please contact a Consultant.