This variation on a classic macaroni cheese makes a delicious and economical supper. Serve it with a crisp salad or some steamed green vegetables. If wished, you can substitute pumpkin for the squash.
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Arrange the squash in a single layer on the baking tray. Spray with oil and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, turning halfway, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the packet. Drain well.
- Make the white sauce: blend the cornflour with a little milk to a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk in a pan and as soon as it starts to boil, reduce the heat and stir in the cornflour mixture. Cook gently, stirring with a wooden spoon, for two to three minutes until the sauce is thick and smooth and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the fromage frais, nutmeg, mustard and half of the grated Cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a pan with oil and set over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion, leek and garlic, stirring occasionally, for eight to 10 minutes, or until tender.